ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST: A LEGACY OF FAITH
The Church of St. John the Baptist began under Father McEvoy around 1895, with dedication completed by Archbishop Riordan in 1900. Initially served from San Leander’s Parish, it became its own parish in July 1925 with Rev. Abel Costa as the first resident pastor. Father Costa repaired the church and built a rectory, thanks to donations from the Stanton family and John Baptista.
Rev. Arthur J. Cantwell, appointed in 1930, made significant improvements, including a new heating system, windows, organ, and lighting. In 1942, Rev. Philip Ryan expanded the property and oversaw renovations.
Rev. Patrick J. Dermody, who became pastor in 1946, acquired more land for a convent and playground. He built a temporary church in response to population growth and initiated a parish drive to fund a new school and convent, completed between 1952 and 1959. He led the parish through significant post-war growth and Vatican II changes.
Father John Wagner succeeded Dermody in 1968, followed by Father John J. Mallon in 1972, who built a community center and remodeled the rectory and school. Subsequent pastors included Father William Marshall, Father Seamus Farrell, Father Brian Timoney, Father William J. Dunn, Father David Link, and Father Michael Lacy.
In 2016, Father Sergio Lopez became the current pastor, continuing the church’s mission of community and faith.
MISSION
The family of St. John the Baptist of San Lorenzo brings life to the word of God through liturgy, ministries and services.
VISION
A diverse and welcoming community based in faith, inspired by the Holy Spirit to give strength, hope and love to everyone.
ST. JOHN’S PASTORAL LEGACY
- Rev. Abel Costa (1925-1930)
- Rev. Arthur J. Cantwell (1930-1942)
- Rev. Philip J. Ryan (1942-1946)
- Rev. Msgr. Patrick J. Dermody (1946-1968)
- Rev. John J. Wagner (1968-1969)
- Rev. John J. Mallon (1969-1983)
- Rev. William J. Marshall (1983-1985)
- Rev. Seamus J. Farrell (Administrator, 1985)
- Rev. Brian T. Timoney (1985-1993)
- Rev. William J. Dunn (1993-1997)
- Rev. David Link (1997-2003)
- Rev. Michael Lacy (2003-2016)
- Rev. Sergio Lopez (2016-Present)